Guess what? I was pulled over for the very first time yesterday!! I had just picked up my friend Marie and was driving down the road (no, really) on this road that is really easy to speed on. There are hills and this 4-way stop that I nearly miss every time. I had just gone through the intersection when I noticed flashing lights in my rear view. "Am I getting pulled over?" I asked. Sure enough I was. I wasn't nervous or anything. The nice policeman asked if I knew how fast I was going. "No. I was talking and not paying any attention," I said. Which was totally true. I had no idea. Apparently I was doing 38 in a 25 mph zone. I gave him all my info and he asked if I drove there a lot, seeing as my address is Tacoma. I don't, just occasionally. He told me to slow down and didn't give me a ticket. That was nice. I don't think you're supposed to tell the cop that you weren't paying attention. Sirius was in the back seat and growling at the policeman the whole time-not too conducive to a nice nonthreatening conversation, but what could I do? Not much of a story, but everyone has to tell about their first.
The only other time I came close (I thought) was back in the summer of '94. I was driving home from work on the freeway in the "slow" lane and listening to the radio. I was tired and all wrapped up in the music when again I noticed flashing lights in my rear view. I was surprised--I had absolutely no idea how long they had been there. I happened to be at my exit so I got off, expecting the cop to follow me. He just kept going and I counted myself lucky.
So I guess the next time I will get pulled over is when I'm 67, since I'm 33 1/2 now. Or maybe I should go by driving years. That'll be (need a calculator) when I'm 50. Here's hoping!
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment