So how could I develop that feeling again? I remembered reading some scriptures and the Ensign at the time, but I didn't remember what exactly. A couple days later I pulled out my scripture journal to study the scriptures for real, not just read and try and stay awake. I was looking at previous entries and almost immediately found an entry from that time in my life that was exactly what I needed to hear now. There were two quotes from the RS/Priesthood manual Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball, a Hymn, and a scripture. I want to share them here so I will remember them more and maybe they'll help someone else:
"Why will only a few reach exaltation in the celestial kingdom? Not because it was not available to them, not because they did not know of its availability, not because the testimony was not given to them, but because they would not put forth the effort to pattern their lives and make them like the Savior's life and establish them so well that there would be no deviation until the end." Spencer W. Kimball, Teachings p. 8
"By strict obedience Jesus won
The prize with glory rife:
'Thy will, O God, not mine be done,'
Adorned his mortal life."
"How Great the Wisdom and the Love"
Hymns #195
There are . . . many members of the Church who are lax and careless and who continually procrastinate. They live the gospel casually but not devoutly. They have complied with some requirements but are not valiant. They do no major crime but merely fail to do the things required--things like paying tithing, living the Word of Wisdom, having family prayers, fasting, attending meetings, serving. . . . The Lord will not translate one's good hopes and desires and intentions into works. Each of us must do that for himself." Spencer W. Kimball, Teachings p. 8
"Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."
Doctrine & Covenants 123:17
It really is amazing how much better I feel when I do even the small things the Lord has asked me to do. I feel even better when I do what is more difficult. "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13
No comments:
Post a Comment